Friday, November 9, 2007

The Living Roots of Music

This Tuesday Lauren Pelon presented a demonstration of world instruments past and present in the college. She brought a range of instruments of woodwind and stringed varieties, she also demonstrated a couple of tribal shakers and modern electronic instruments. Lauren put on a great demonstration for us & I think everyone enjoyed themselves. After the demo anyone that wanted could have a closer look at the instruments, I was particularly taken by the simplicity of the hurdy gurdy (right) having not seen the working parts of one before. I don't think it would be beyond consideration for a little project of my own, I was also astounded by the sound that the racket (sp?) (left)emitted! It sounds like a fuzz drenched electric guitar if you ask me! (Like the beginning of The White Stripes song Icky Thump!)

No comments: